10 Ways to Unleash the Best and Ignite Passion in Your People
We’re delighted to announce the semifinalists for the HCI Human Capital M-Prize—a rich set of bold and original Hacks and inspiring and instructive Stories.
We asked MIXers to tackle one of the toughest—and most important questions in the realm of management innovation: How do you mobilize and unleash the best gifts of every single person in the organization? And how do you create an environment and system for work that ignite extraordinary passion, imagination, and initiative?
And they answered! We received some 85 entries—so many of which surprised us, stretched us, and inspired us. Together they begin to map a future in which organizations are as human as the human beings inside them. Needless to say, it was no easy feat to whittle so many superb contributions down to just ten semifinalists.
A hearty thanks to everyone who entered this M-Prize. This is by no means the end of the road. We plan to keep the conversation going and to continue to cultivate a community of passion around the topic of communities of passion and unleashing capability. We hope you’ll continue to engage around these and other management moonshots. Stay tuned here on the Fresh MIX for the announcement of new resources and tools to deepen the conversation and facilitate more collaboration.
Now, meet the semifinalists (in alphabetical order):
- How to Start a Movement in Your Company (3 parts), Story by David Choe
- Start with a better question to create a better talent management system: the Talent Management Cloud, Hack by Lisa Haneberg
- A Company Run by Self-Managed Teams, Story by Alyson Huntington-Jones
- “Soft” R&D: You don’t have to be a geeky engineer to experience the thrill of inventing, Story by Erika Ilves
- Atlassian’s Big Experiment with Performance Reviews, Story by Joris Luijke
- A True Learning company—free of management, Story by Andres Roberts
- The Tube: IDEO Builds a Collaboration System that Inspires Through Passion, Story by Doug Solomon
- Bonus Fund: Empower Employees to fund initiatives with company-matched bonus money, Hack by Kartik Subbarao
- Commando Mentoring, Hack by Steve Todd
- Restoring Faith in the Institution: How Mission Shaped Communities Revitalized St. Andrews, Story by Drew Williams
Congratulations! Each semifinalist wins a a full conference pass to the 2011 HCI Summit in Atlanta, GA (March 7-9, 2011), an iPad, recognition on the MIX and MIX partner sites.
What happens next?
Everybody gets back to work! The semifinalists have the opportunity to further develop their entries between now and the final deadline of February 20. We encourage all MIXers to contribute to the strengthening of these important ideas and practices by rating the entries and adding suggestions, questions and builds in the comments field. At the same time, I’ll be featuring deeper dives into some of the entries in coming days and Gary Hamel will host a webinar featuring the semifinalists on Wednesday, February 9 (1pm ET/10am PT) to discuss the entries and offer feedback. All MIXers are welcome.
The judges (MIX cofounder Gary Hamel, thought leader Marcus Buckingham, John Boudreau of the Center for Effective Organizations at USC, McKinsey & Company's director of global organization practice, Colin Price, and yours truly) will then get back to work to select three finalists from the pack—one of whom will be named the Grand Prize Winner and earn a spot on the HCI Summit stage among other prizes. Expect those announcements on February 28, 2011.
Thanks again to all who contributed—whether by writing a story, adding a thoughtful comment, or rating the entries. We all win when everybody plays.