In today's competitive world, the option for low performers are very less and they are forced to do their job or quit the job.
Is there something problem in their attitude / capability / understanding / less opportunity / less exposure or Organization failed to encourage / motivate them to get the best out of them?
Sometimes, failed to encourage the good performer may lead to perform low. There will not be any productivity from the low performers and he may spread wrong perception around the organization.
Mostly, all the employees in the organization expect fair raise in their salary irrelevant of high or low performance. For an Organization, they can't treat all as same. It depends on their performance and sometimes ask the low performers to quit which may lead the organization to look for another resource. This lead to start investing to look up for another resource.
First of all, measuring the human potential is more critical. It should not always depends on the Performance Review Ratings. If any organization judging the high / low performers depends on the performance ratings given by their managers, then all the times it may not be correct.
We should always judge depends on 360 degree feedback from all angles. For one individual, he may be wrong but for another’s he might be correct. Some corrective measure their process may improve the low performer’s skill and boost them to compete with high performers.
Some of the corrective measures are:
- Fair 360 degree Performance Appraisal
- Encourage the Low performer to improve their skills
- Allocate the proper Mentor for the low performers to guide them in right direction
- Sketch the Development Plan and encourage them to work towards the goal
- Give them the responsibility which will boost them to complete it, since organization kept faith on him.
- Rigorous structured training plan with deadline to complete
- Recognize the high performers in open stage which will encourage the low performers to work to achieve
- Set the vision for Mentors to have regular one to one discussion with low performers to understand their progress.
Best Performers always give their best, we no need to spend much time for them, but at the same time we have to make sure those should not come to low performers group. We have to monitor both high & low performers to make sure high performers always give their best & move the population in low performance in to high performance group.
Instead spending much investment in hiring a new replacement for low performers, if organization can engage some people to guide the low performers can actually convert them in to high performers.
- Decrease in Attrition Rate or sacking due to performance
- Improve the employee satisfaction
- Productive output
- Overall growth in the team performance which will make the client happy.
- Quality of team work will improve
- Fair Performance process
- Reduce the new hiring expenses
- Increase in ROI on employee
- High Performers may feel that they are ignored
- Not all the low performers will cooperate with the mentors
- Mentors responsibilities will increase which is actually apart from their normal role, which all the people not willing to participate
- Allocate Mentors for group of low performers
- Set the role of mentors to guide the low performers
- Set the development & training plan
- Monitor the performance
- Change the performance review process from Rating driven to Feedback driven after completion of each assignment