Create a crack team of change agents available to parachute into businesses and support the empowerment of it's intrapreneurs to affect the culture of the company and establish an openness to innovation.
These independent Knowmads and “sane crazies” represent about 10% of the population and can be found running businesses, social enterprises or working for others.
Co-ordinated as part of a virtual agency, they can be matched to companies, teams and projects by skills and experience but also wavelength and resonance.
- Many companies have an established culture and 20th century style of thinking that is not very adaptable, this is increasingly resulting in erosion of value that is not always identified by the board who can often be "married" to the model and too close to the problem to see it.
- Rate of change in the business world means they can easily get left behind as more agile models emerge and smaller businesses respond to opportunities with greater agility. This impact of this accelerating velocity is only going to increase so larger organisations need to do some radically different things, using existing methods to review and develop will not help as these processes are too slow.
- Usually the business will contain one or two intrapreneurial Positive Deviants of their own, recently these intrapreneurs have been leaving corporations in droves to set up their own businesses. This talent can be retained and nurtured if they are given suitable support and responsibility to affect cultural change and lead innovation.
- These people need support and empowerment to effect change and challenge the status quo, support that can be provided on a paid consultancy basis by their like-minded peers in the entrepreneurial world. These creative people in the entrepreneurial and social enterprise world have traditionally been ignored or shunned by corporate boards who prefer to appoint like minded ex-employees as supposed change agents.
Create an associate consulting model business, utilising the online virtual team management tools to mobilise this community as a crack team of early intervention change agents in the quest to heal the corporate world.
The network of associates would be able to identify and refer opportunities as well as working on projects at their specified day rate and on the terms they propose via their online profile. Each project will have a lead consultant who will work with the client to develop a brief and put together a team of client side and external people using matching tools and processes. The online dashboard system is used to select and manage the project teams and tasks at a macro level.
An agile and responsive resource that not only enables rapid response to opportunities and risks but affects lasting cultural change by supporting Intrapreneurs in recruiting support for their ideas and initiatives within a business.
Cultural change is always a challenge, in particular the need to create internal ownership and navigate silos to establish shared goals and vision.
The key is to help individuals adopt 21st century business practices that establish entrepreneurial behaviours as the norm, starting in small groups built around existing intrapreneurs and building out from their by giving them freedom to work cross functionally on strategic activities.
Getting board members to buy into this initiative is difficult but should be achievable starting with small scale local budget testing that demonstrates the ability of positive deviants to affect profitable change quickly and efficiently.
- Source associates (and clients via intrapreneurs?) through networks and events
- Understand the way they think in order to assign by resonance/relevance/wavelength
- Establish primary sales/comms channels CIPD, Other Professional Bodies, Universities
- Associates can also refer opportunities
- Associates can include intrapreneurs who can create a new income stream (challenging terms of contract)
- Use social media listening to identify subtle needs within companies
- Utilise digital and online guerrilla campaigns to increase awareness of this disruptive resource
- Build strong challenger brand around thinking different
This idea has been developed in conversation with a number of collaborators, too many to mention in fact! However several of these would be keen to re-engage as the initiative gains momentum.