In a taxonomically organized world human resources are managed with structured approach: organizational graph, job role, job description, hierarchical or functional controls.
In every day activity people in social tools enabled enterprise environment people send mail, use wikis, post blog posts, online chats, virtual meeting, set shared calendar etc.
Social Network Analysis tool enable the analysis of what’s going on in the company work flow but is something that:
- Is used by within organization teams and consultants to make analysis that often drives to traditional organizational actions.
- Often seen by personnel as an unfair work control methods
So what happens using SNA is that the outcome is really interesting and sometimes surprising but not directly come to action for change.
Making (haking) SNA tool measures (over time day, month, year number of email sent / received by workgroup, number of social interaction as of posts, comments, wiki update, etc) become standard measure and tracking of PERSONAL activity and VISIBLE to each company employeeon the personal page on the intranet with the possibility to make analytics analysis on it could:
- allow them to be aware on how they perform the workcompared to peers or themselves overtime in order to make them (ad es. low performers) understand how to better allocate their time and effort to succeed
- spontaneous change of behaviors that are in violation of company policies (even if numbers are not controlled at personal level)
- establish a general confidence in the usage and knowledge of this measures within all the company people.
Furthermore the company managers looking at aggregated data for their team (organizationally defined or virtually defined by working connection) can so use this analytics to measure volumes of activity related to different process (e.g. effort on Quality procedures) and compare company performance and behaviors between teams.