By pooling resources through collaborative consulting, freelancers and independent professionals can make substantial gains in increasing customer value, competitiveness and their bottom lines.
Freelancers that participate a "collaborative consulting" model continue to run their own businesses (covering their own expenses), but would work together on larger projects or when asked by other members. Groups would be limited to 5-8 people to streamline decision-making and all members would have complimentary skill sets. The goal? Establish self-organized teams that can crank out high-quality, competitive solutions.
Folks looking for a solution wouldn't need to find an independent developer, marketing expert, copywriter and graphic designer. The customer essentially gets introduced into a network based on a single need, and the freelance team reviews the project to determine how their skill set can increase customer value.
- Qualify new candidates by working with them on at least two "arms-length" projects
- Measure the candidates ability to bring in business
- Organize teams based on complimentary skill sets
- Schedule weekly check-in's to maintain group cohesion. Keep meetings quick and to the point
- Focus on innovation and organizational flexibility
- Leave the politics at the door...